Man’s body pulled from River Thames near sailing club after late night search

A man's body was pulled from the River Thames last night after a frantic search by rescue teams. Emergency services were called to the river near Desborough Sailing Club in Shepperton, Surrey shortly after 8pm yesterday. Members of the public had reported a man had gone underwater but failed to resurface.

Surrey Police[1] confirmed a man's body was found shortly after midnight. A spokesman for the force said: "Sadly, a man's body was recovered from the river in the early hours of this morning. His next of kin are aware and are being supported by specially trained officers.

"There was a large emergency services presence at the scene including police, Surrey Fire[2] and Rescue Service, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS[3] Foundation Trust, a dive team and Surrey Search & Rescue. "We are treating the death as unexplained, but do not believe at this stage that there was anyone else involved. "A file will be prepared and passed to the coroner."

As high temperatures continue across much of the country, people are being urged to stay safe when going in open water. The fire service has urged people not to jump into unknown water, saying it can be colder, shallower and faster flowing than it appears. Tragically, just two days ago, an 80-year-old female swimmer died after getting into trouble at Walton Beach in Essex.

Paramedics were called to the beach on Wednesday 10 August after concerns for the pensioner were raised at 6.20pm - as the public and emergency services rushed to help her. A spokesperson for Essex Police[4] said: "Her death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner. "We want to thank the members of the public and partner agencies for their efforts responding to this incident."

It comes just days after Humberside Police[5] were called to Humberston Fitties beach following reports of a man getting into difficulties. On Wednesday officers found a man who was unconscious after coming into difficulty in the water. Humberside Police said CPR and lifesaving efforts were carried out by the lifeboat crew and paramedics, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Humberside Police spokesperson said: "Our thoughts are with man's family and loved ones who were supported by officers on scene."

Read More

Portsmouth dog attack: Man, 34, mauled to death by 'dangerous' animal in parkundefined[6]

Read More

Man whose hand was 'chopped off' outside working men's club thought attack was 'prank'undefined[7]


  1. ^ Surrey Police (
  2. ^ Fire (
  3. ^ NHS (
  4. ^ Essex Police (
  5. ^ Humberside Police (
  6. ^ Portsmouth dog attack: Man, 34, mauled to death by 'dangerous' animal in park (
  7. ^ Man whose hand was 'chopped off' outside working men's club thought attack was 'prank' (

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.